This week on TAP, I'm talking about all the things that have to do with professional development for music teachers. This episode is one of the longer editions of The Anacrusic Podcast, and even still is no where near comprehensive in giving you all the different ideas and options out there for music teacher PD. But if you're looking for some fresh ideas to reinvigorate and refine your teaching practice, this is the perfect place to get started.
In this episode of TAP:
- I talk about different books, in person trainings, and online resources that are available to you as a music teacher for professional development.
- I talk a lot about different summer training opportunities, and why I think it is really important to take advantage of these courses when and if you are able.
- A HUGE announcement is revealed at the very end of the episode. If you are so over Facebook, this might just change your mind.
Resources & Links Mentioned in this Episode of TAP
Buckle up kids, cause this is A LOT of info! (*Full disclosure: some of the links below are amazon affiliate links. If you decide to snatch up one of these great resources, I'll get an tiny kick back for recommending it.)
- Best Place to Browse: West Music
- Another great place to check out printed resources: Music is Elementary
- An American Methodology by Ann Eisen & Lamar Robertson
- Lesson Planning in a Kodály Setting by Rita Klinger
- Music in Preschool by Katalin Forrai
- Artful Playful Mindful: A New Orff-Schulwerk Curriculum for Music Making and Music Thinking by Jane Frazee
- Meaningful Movement: A Music Teacher’s Guide to Dalcroze Eurhythmics by Marla Butke and David Frego
- Learning Sequences in Music by Edwin Gordon
- Jump Right In: The Music Curriculum
- Educating Young Sings: A Choral Resource for Teachers/Conductors by Mary Goetze, Angela Broker, & Ruth Bushkoff
- Listen Up! Fostering Musicianship Through Active Listening by Brent Gault
- Teaching General Music: Approaches, Issues, & Viewpoints edited by Carlos Abril & Brent Gault
Don’t discount general education books! (this is just the tip of the iceberg!)
*Don’t discount general education workshops, conferences or sessions, as well as MUSIC focused. Going to a folk music festival, etc.
- Mrs. Miracle’s Music Room
- David Row's Make Moments Matter
- Cocktails and Kodaly
- Music Teacher Coffee Talk